...as I've not got anywhere with the D1 centre stand. To start with the stop plate is at angle, due to the mounting lugs not being vertical, and now it seems I've been sold the wrong return spring. On top of that the centre stand feet need extending to stop the bike falling over! The new tubes I bought, which fit over the footpeg spindle are tight. Anything else? What a bugger's muddle I've got myself in. Time for a drop of the hard stuff I think - or a good woman. No, I've tried that and she wasn't as good as I thought... quite bad, in fact,
Still haven't been able to sort the D1 stand problems out yet. It seems I have the wrong return spring. The one I have is for a D7 to D14, I think. It was sold as suitable for all Bantams, which isn't possible. Back to the drawing board on this one. Too busy tomorrow to do much; appointment with shrink AM (don't askl!) and carpet-fitter PM. That'll be my day taken care of!
After fitting new oil seals, the D1 engine is ready to be reunited with the bike! But that will be tomorrow. The things I found wrong with the engine are almost unbelievable: the contact breaker screw was undone, the spring clip was missing and the cam screw was loose!
Looking at the centre stand; even though I've assembled the set-up as shown in numerous publications I cannot get the stand to spring back up - the spring isn't under enough tension and never will be. Time for some head scratching and a cuppa!
I knew the first Bantam was derived from the German DKW, as part of the war reparations, but I never realised the Americans made something similar.
I was reading a book recently and came across the Hummer 125, made by Harley Davdison, to provide an entry level into the world of motorcycling. The little Hummer bears a striking resemblance to the DKW, although mirror-images our D1 Bantam.
My theory about the offside rear wheel bearing having loosened up in the hub was correct, as I discovered this afternoon after giving it a thorough check. I fitted the new, sealed wheel bearing on the drive side, no problems. But when I came to the speedo side the new bearing just dropped in, then fell out again. The hub was so worn at that point. Hence why someone had effected a 'cure' by shortening the distance piece, driving the offside bearing in as far as the stop in the hub, then added another bearing. I've now done the same... and it seems to have worked! A bit of a bodge, I know, but beggars can't be chosers, or is it losers? I certainly can't afford to spend any more hardearned dosh on the wheel!
... that the offside rear wheel bearing had been 'fretting' in the hub (nearest speedo drive) and was a very sloppy fit. So the distance piece was shortened and another bearing fitted inboard of the loose outer bearing. However, I may be wrong. And I hope I am too! Tomorrow... we shall see... and all will be revealed.
Here's a picture of my 1951 D1 Bantam so far - minus the engine! I've refitted the rear wheel (just for the photoshoot) although I had a bit of a set back regarding the wheel bearings. When I dismantled the rear wheel, prior to having it rebuilt, I noticed there were THREE bearings fitted: one on the drive side, and TWO on the speedo side! But why was this, I wondered?
I have since discovered that the distance piece fitted, at some time or other, was too short so a second, inner bearing had been fitted. All three bearings were quite worn as well.
So I went online and ordered some new bearings from Lancashire Classic Bike Spares in Bolton. That was yesterday afternoon, Friday, 21 February. Imagine my surprise when they arrived in today's post - lunchtime, Saturday, 22 February! Well done, Lancashire Classic Bikes, I shall certainly be doing business with you again in the near future!
That just leaves me with a little problem: where to obtain a correct-sized distance piece, or details of its exact dimensions so I can get one made up. Does anyone know?
All being well, I should collect my D1 rear wheel from Hughie today. He's fitted the tyre for me. So, after maybe a little touching up of the paintwork, I should be able to put the wheel back in the bike in the next couple of days. Then we'll be rolling along! Just the wiring to do, the engine to fit... can hardly wait for a ride!
... I've now resprayed the rear wheel and I've got a new tyre and tube ready to take to Hughie, who's going to fit the tyre for me. I'm leaving it a week or two for the paint to harden, although I'm looking forward to getting the wheel in the D1 so I can move it and work on the wiring.
I've been the proud owner of a 1965 BSA Bantam D7 since 1991, affectionately known as Little Willie (Wilhelmina) and love to take her out for a ride so that others can see her.